Monday, March 7, 2016

Blog 5: Dating VS Hooking Up


Dating and hooking up both have some pros and cons.  One of the benefits of dating is always having that friend to confide in.  Also, dating comes with physical intimacy and always having your significant other being around.  Some of the risk of dating is getting hurt or having your heart broken if things don’t work out.  Females worry about losing a friendship whereas males worry about being rejected.  With hooking up, some of the benefits are no strings attached and it can be fun and exciting.  Females enjoy hooking up because they feel wanted and desired where as men find it sexually gratifying.  Some of the risks of hooking up is contracting an STI or getting pregnant.  Females worry about wanting a relationship but the other person doesn’t where as men worry that the other person wants a relationship and they don’t. 


In my experiences I have done both.  I have had very committed relationship throughout high school and my first year of college.  I decided a few months into my freshman year that my high school relationship of three years was holding me back from what I wanted to do in life so I moved on.  Of course I have always had a close connection in relationships and wanted that right away so I jumped right into a new relationship.  Once I chose to leave home and move here to Menomonie I changed my mind all over again.  The night before I left I hooked up with my best friend.  I knew this was wrong and was very against cheating but it just happened.  I ended my relationship a month after coming here and spend my first semester hooking up and not wanting to be in a relationship and to try something new.  I enjoyed the benefits of freedom and having no strings attached.  I could do what I want when I wanted to which was super nice.  I was on and off again with my best friend which we stayed just hooking up because I was long distance which was nice because I could continue doing what I want here at school.  Now six months later, I am dating my best friend from home.  This was a huge benefit because we already have been friends since forever and know a lot about each other which makes it easier to talk about everything and anything.  Hooking up was a benefit for us because it brought us closer and a relationship started from it.  I now know that he will always be there for me and I have that committed relationship that I am happy with.  Sometimes I do wish we weren’t dating because I have to really behave and make sure I don’t flirt with other guys to keep my boyfriend happy but I wouldn’t change dating my best friend for anything.  

1 comment:

  1. Mid-course review:

    Katie, you are definitely on the right track with your blog entries! You are doing an excellent job articulating how the course material relates to your own life, and I appreciate the amount of time, energy, and thought you have put into each post. I am so looking forward to reading your future posts and final audit!

    Warmly,
    Dr. Reinke

    ReplyDelete